Dienstag, 30. September 2014

Primark on the Racks - 26.09.2014


Big shops like Primark sell their goods very cheap. In other places the price would be more expensive. Clothes and goods from Primark weren't all made by machines; but in dirty, narrow streets and houses in India. Against the rule, woman and children work secretly over hours on the hardest and the most difficult clothes.                   Nevertheless, these people get paid less for their hard work.


Because of the cheap price, people like us, usually forget the effort that is put into the products when we buy something. This documentary (from BBC) critics about how poor people get cheated. They need to do all the work and only getting less money. The rest of the profit the bosses owns. We need to be aware by buying cheap goods, that it could be those things which were paid inequitable.


Before I watched this documentary, I only knew little about this topic. I noticed that cheap prices can't be true, due to the process of making it. But I thought that machines were making the goods and not people. We learned already about Fair Trade and this is a similar topic. People always cheat to get profit for themselves.

Before I didn't really care much about how things are produced. I used to buy lots of cheap stuff to save money. It didn't came in my mind that people were working hard on it. But now that I know how things are produced, who made it and how hard people are putting effort into it; I feel really guilty. I'm shocked and horrified by the truth that was hidden. I feel sorry for them. But why do people not do anything to stop the children from working? Can't anyone help these people to get their fair amount of money? How do we know which products were fair paid?

I think to stop the children from working is to persuade their families. It is a hard thing because this rule is always broken. But for helping people to get the fair amount of money, people could use globalization to spread the help and protest against this problem. If we want to know if the products are fair we could search for more evidence like in the video or the world would decide on one logo to know it's a fair product.

Personally I want to buy things fairly so that everyone could have enough for their lives, but I can't always buy expensive articles.   Try to do it, but if not at least appreciate the effort people were/are putting into your articles.

1 Kommentar:

  1. 3.5/4 - a very good summary. At times it is more of a "call to action" piece rather than thinking about the sort of questions we need to ask and the sort of data/research that would need to be taken. If I have read the article correctly, you believe that global action would be the best at solving this issue - how could this be coordinated?

    AntwortenLöschen